Sunday, January 30, 2011

Is your creativeness fickle?

Creativity is a fickle thing.  For many people, including myself, there are days when we are positively bursting with creativity and then there are days when our creativity is MIA. These are the days that I absolutely abhor.

One day, on a somewhat creative day, an idea began to formulate in my mind.  I have yet to try it, but I have high hopes!  That is why I'm sharing my plan with you before I've even tried it.  My plan is just that good. 

Some of you may have studied or heard about something called classical conditioning. Chances are you know what I'm talking about, but you just don't know its proper name. 

Classical conditioning is something that is studied in psychology ~ this is how I came to know its principles.  (From here on out, classical conditioning will be referred to as CC because it's so dang long!)  CC began with a guy named Pavlov.  His experiment, at first, was not meant to be psychological, but in fact physiological.  Pavlov's original experiment was to measure how much saliva the dog salivated when it was presented with dog food.  This sounds like fun, does it not?

At first, the experiment seemed simple enough, but after a few times of running it, Pavlov's experiment was ruined.  The dog had started salivating before the lab technician had even presented the dog with food!  This foiled Pavlov's experiment since the technician couldn't be prepared to measure the dog saliva the moment he walked into the dog kennel.

It turns out, the dog had learned to associate food with the lab technician's presence.  So everytime the lab technician came, the dog strarted to drool.  Pavlov grew curious by this turn of events and so he designed a new experiment. 

This time, Pavlov introduced something that had no meaning whatsoever to the dog: a metronome.  Then, with the metronome ticking, a lab technician fed the dog.  Soon after the first trial, the dog made the association with the dog food and the ticks of the metronome.  So of course, whenever the dog heard the metronome ticks, it started salivating!

This, my dear friends, is how we can stay creative forever!  Instead of CC ourselves to drool like dogs, we can stimulate our creativity!  Brillant, right?!

Here's my plan:

Step 1)  Go to the store and buy the craziest, most funky hat that you've ever laid eyes on!  Please make sure it appeals to your creativeness.
Step Z) On the days you feel highly creative, put on said amazing hat and do your thang!

CAUTION:  DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT EVER WEAR THE FUNKY HAT WHEN YOU ARE NOT FEELING CREATIVE.  YOU WILL RUIN YOUR CHANCES FOR SUCCESS.

Here's where my brilliant plan comes to a close.  I haven't a clue how to proceed.  At this point in time, I'm planning on wearing my hat at least 14 separate times, on creative days, before I ever wear the hat on a non-creative day.  But, you know how plans go...

So my advice to you is to take it easy.  If you have a moderately creative day and you have worn your hat numerous times, I'd say "go for it!", see if you can take your creativeness to a whole new level!  Good luck with CC yourselves!  If you decide to give this a whirl, drop me a line and let me know how it goes!  I'm sure I'll be blogging about my attempt in about a fortnight or so :)

No comments:

Post a Comment