Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The I-don't-have-any-money syndrome

The I-don't-have-any-money syndrome is something I've called an annoying habit most of us do at some point or another in our lives.  None of my friends complain about not having any money to spend on stuff, but that doesn't mean they don't have the I-don't-have-any-money syndrome. 

To have this syndrome one must either say they don't have any money to spend, joke about being broke, or just whine about their current financial affairs.  Then, they must go spend money on something stupid or on something absurdly expensive.

I get really annoyed when people talk about their financial problems and then go buy some five dollar drink.  Here's something that has happened to my mom:  She and her best friend (who was several thousand dollars in debt) went shopping and every time they went to a store, my mom's friend kept pressuring my mom to buy something.  Even though my mom didn't end up buying anything, her friend bought stuff at all these stores.  And it was stuff she didn't really need!

This is what people need to cut back on!  People waste money all the time and don't even seem to realize it!  Never feel pressured to spend money every time you leave the house.  Try to go for the water instead of buying that two dollar pop or expensive coffee.  Don't shop for brand names; the clearance rack really isn't all that bad.  Also, cut back on how much food you buy at the movie theater; it's way overpriced.  (What I do is I buy some candy across the street and then sneak it into the movie theater and that way I save a couple bucks!) 

Just by saving a few dollars everyday, you can dramatically increase the money left in your wallet at the end of the week.  Make sure you set aside this saved money and put it into a savings account.  You never know when there will be a need for it.

Get rid of that I-don't-have-any-money syndrome and start saving! Don't forget to vote in the polls!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I see this all the time. I have a friend that tells me her family doesn't have any money, even though she and her husband make great money. Then, in the next sentence she starts talking about booking a vacation to Hawaii. Another friend that I have lunch with occasionally spends about twice as much on lunch as I do. She is in massive debt. And others who complain about not having money, yet they have all the latest phones, gadgets, clothes, and have seen all the latest movies. I do not understand this mentality to just keep spending & spending. Enough stuff already. LESS IS MORE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't understand this mentality either. There is no need to constantly spend money. I agree, less is more! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete