Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Why is your bedroom painted the color it is?

Some of you may be wondering about the poll titled "What is your favorite color? There is a point to this I swear :)".  I'm happy to inform you that today your questioning mind will receive answers.

The other day, I was thinking about the color spectrum.  At that point in time, I was sitting in my room, which is painted bright orange by the way, when a thought struck me.  Kids all across the U.S. paint their rooms their favorite color.  (This is probably true in many other countries, but since I've never had the chance to look in some kid's room in Russia, Portugal, Japan, Great Britain, etcetera, I cannot include the rest of the world in my thesis.)  Then, somewhere along the way into adulthood, something changes.

I don't know if you've realized this, but many adults don't paint their room with their favorite color.  Why is this?  My parents' room is painted a pukish green and neither of their favorite colors are that color.  Also, some adults paint their room a boring beige color.  Is this supposed to symbolize that they've lost their zest for life or that life has taken away their character?

Here's another big thing I've heard as an excuse: "I painted my room a pastel violet because it is relaxing and peaceful.  A bedroom is for sleeping, so why would I want to paint it a glaring, florescent purple instead?"

My response to this is: Your favorite color is something that you are naturally attracted to.  It should represent you as a being and have a deep psychological meaning that you aren't really aware of, but either way the color should be calming to you.  (If you're interested there is a cool website on color psychology here: http://www.digitalskratch.com/color-psychology.php)

My room may be an incandescent orange, but it is relaxing and it is me.  If my room had DNA, it would match up exactly with my own DNA. So the question of this post is: For all of you out there whose room color does not match up with your favorite color, why is your room DNA separate from your own?  Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment